1. Pinterest began as a mobile shopping app called Tote
2. Android pivoted out of being an operating system for cameras
3. Flickr was an online role-playing game as Ludicorp
4. Groupon began as a consumer activist site called The Point
5. Instagram was a copy of Foursquare called Burbn
6. Nokia started out as a wood pulp mill
7. PayPal originated as a way to exchange money via Palm Pilots
8. Rovio made 51 games before Angry Birds.
9. Shopify started as the founders needed an online shopping cart for their snowboard business
10. Slack was an ICQ tool for a startup called Tiny Speck
11. Twitter came out of a failed podcasting business called Odeo
12. Turntable fm was a mobile bar code-scanning startup Stickybits
13. Woot began in 2004 as a way for Matt Ruttledge’s 12-year-old wholesale electronics distributor to clear out unsold inventory
14. Yelp began as an automated system for emailing recommendation requests to friends.
15. YouTube began as a video dating site called Tune In Hook Up